Big Brother / Big Sister
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in communities. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people.
Vision: all children achieve success in life.
Mission: provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
Accountability: by partnering with parents/guardians, volunteers and others in the community we are accountable for each child in our program achieving:
• Higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships
• Avoidance of risky behaviors
• Educational success
Research has shown that positive relationships between Littles and their Bigs have a direct and measurable impact on children’s lives. By participating in our programs, Little Brothers and Sisters are:
- more confident in their schoolwork performance
- able to get along better with their families
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school.